Crypto exchange BitMart issued an update that caught the market off guard: it is now exploring a potential restructuring plan as an alternative to a full wind-down. This announcement comes less than a month after the exchange told users it would shutter operations, with all trading set to cease on August 26.
A surprising reversal of fortune
Let’s remember that BitMart initially announced its exit on July 26, citing operating conditions, market factors, and future strategy. Since then, new sign-ups and deposits were frozen immediately, and the exchange committed to closing entirely by January 31, 2027.
However, Friday’s update signals a dramatic pivot. The company says it is now developing a plan that may include the “phased resumption of certain operations in an orderly manner alongside distributions to creditors.”
What BitMart’s restructuring plan means
Now, the crypto exchange has appointed White & Case, one of the world’s largest insolvency and restructuring law firms, as its legal counsel. This suggests a quite complex financial situation requiring professional restructuring expertise.
Adding more drama, the presence of “distributions to creditors” in the announcement has raised eyebrows. Exchanges that simply pause operations for market reasons don’t typically pay out creditors. Per the working, it seems clear that BitMart is dealing with financial obligations and is undergoing a formal restructuring process.
BitMart has promised a roadmap by September 9, 2026, with further updates on the business resumption plan. The company says it will consult with the community once the plan is launched.
User funds still in limbo
On the other hand, and despite the optimistic restructuring language, many users remain unable to withdraw funds. Reports of blocked withdrawals have surfaced since the initial shutdown announcement, with some users describing requested amounts as low as $5 being released from accounts containing tens of thousands. Users’ complaints and questions have surged on social media too.
BitMart founder Sheldon Xia has denied misappropriating user funds, stating that the core team is conducting an asset inventory and aiming for an “orderly” wind-down.
He dismissed allegations of withdrawal issues as “fabricated rumors” and claimed a post on BitMart’s official X account calling for accountability was the result of a hack.







